The Terrible Twos

I have always wondered if the "terrible twos" actually exist. Eva turned 2 last month and I am starting to dread the upcoming months. Are there any survivors out there? I'd like to hear your stories. The thing is Eva is such a happy sweet little girl... during the day! She plays on her own, loves company, is very social (although you can't figure out much of what she is trying to say these days), and just a pleasure to be around. Come bedtime......... and she turns into a little monster! Changing her clothes is a serious workout that sometimes leaves me sweating and breathless. Giving her a bath is a good one. She loves her baths, but she won't come out of it when we are done. How long do baths take? I literally drag her out of the bathtub and then she'll just sit on the bathroom floor and watch the water drain down the plughole. I finally get her pajamas on and she is ready to go bye bye. So here we go, every night ever since I switched her from crib to toddler bed we've been having bedtime battles. It used to be like this: I would simply put her in her crib, kiss her good night and walk away; she might play for a bit, talk to herself, on rare occasions she would cry for a minute or two and go to sleep. Now she either runs around the room wildly screaming and throws herself on the floor kicking, or clings to me, squeals and tries to give me LOTS and lots of hugs. How tricky is that - she knows mommy will take a hug anytime. I try not to give in and stay calm although my heart is about to melt!
So anyway, one night I went back to check on her and found her sleeping on the floor like the bed didn't even exist there. Does anyone see a problem here?



share on:facebook

6 comments:

Hendersonyan, Inc. said...

oh Rita, i am so sorry you are going through this. I am not sure there is even a solution because it does look like you have tried everything and are pretty stern about things. I am sorry, I guess the only consolation would be to wait till she is 3, then she will enter the "mom-pleasing-mode". Hang in there, I wish I had advise for you but all i did was count days till 3 years old.

Rita said...

Haha, thanks Carine, at least there is hope!

Jessica said...

This one made me laugh, only because I can relate and you're such a great storyteller. I've determined that there are no schedules, rules, or structure when they are like this. You do what you have to do. Boston won't go down until midnight at times or I have to forgo doing any errands b/c of his "moods". This too shall pass." No where to be, nothing to do" as the buddhists say. I remind myself of this and just have as much patience as I can (sometimes there's no much left).

Natalie said...

We haven't gone through this phase yet, but I have a couple of friends who said that they had to lock their kid's bedroom door so they can't escape. One mom says she has to be careful opening the door in the morning because often they fall asleep on the floor with their hand under the door. So you're not alone!

Rita said...

Isn't that crazy? Natalie, thanks for bringing that up because sometimes I feel kind of guilty shutting her bedroom door. She can't open it so no need to lock it yet. "Experts" say if you are consistent they'll eventually learn to fall asleep on their own. Ah!
Jessica, can you imagine having a 4-month old baby screaming in another room while you are trying to put your toddler to bed? :) I like the Buddhist quote, very applicable here.

Ryan and Nona said...

Well Rita, that is really funny. Mara's transition to a toddler bed was interesting. She would fall asleep anywhere but her bed. On the floor, in the closet, under the rug, by the door, mostly under her bed, you name it. I did use a lock on the door. You just need to make sure there is nothing in the room they can hurt themselves with, like climb on a shelf or drop something on them. The newness of sleeping on the floor wears off after awhile. Just hang in there. Also it helps staggering bed time if you can. See if Jemma can go to sleep first. Then once she is asleep put Eva down. Good luck.